Monday, November 14, 2011
Shoe Sample #2: Heel Construction
Controversy exists over when high heels were first invented, but the consensus is that heels were seen as early as the Hellenic Period. The heels as we known today, were popularized by Louis XIV during 1600's. Some intense engineering must have happened in history to allow women (and men) today to enjoy the elongated elegance. So, thank you to whomever invented this.
Same idea as the palm tree leaves, this time, I get to choose what material I want to use following a pattern, which was given to me. Even though weaving tree leaves seemed daunting a few weeks ago, I quickly realized making modern shoes is much more difficult and requires patience.
1. Decide on the material : upper will be embroidered upholstery and heel will be wine cork
2. Decide on the heel shape: wood glue is used
3. Cut out the base structure (upper and sole) in manila paper
4. Fabric is glued to manila, and sole is attached to upper, heel height is tested
5. Shaping the heel so the upper will sit on it properly. Outside is covered with fabric.
6. Final product